Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pop Rocks

Let me start off by saying that I am a recovering soda (or pop.  Or coke.  Whatever floats your boat) drinker.  Pepsi used to be as big a part of my diet as any grain or fruit or meat product - I would drink it with my cereal, I drank it at lunch, I gulped it at dinner.  I really could not envision myself having a meal without a Pepsi next to me.  Soda?  Count me in.  I loved this stuff.

Then I saw the gigantic Pepsi-induced blob of mass below my chest one day decided enough is enough.  I was cutting soda completely out of my diet - for my sake, for my bellies sake, and for the sake of my poor, poor cereal that had no idea why I was treating breakfast like a barbeque.

So it comes as no surprise, then, that I say "Bravo!" to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's plans to ban the sale of large-sized sugary drinks in NYC.  I have always been perplexed at the sheer size of some of these drink cups retail stores and restaurants offer up to their customers - it's basically an invite to ensure that the United States will continue to glutton itself into a gloating, obese monstrosity.  But that's neither here nor there; what's really cool about this latest development in New York City is how appropriate a talking point it is to discuss in my future social studies class.

Especially with regards to civics and political science, the issue of Bloomberg's attempt to ban large sugary drink sales could certainly provide for a rousing class discussion on the role government should or should not play in our daily lives.  Is there a bit of a Big Brother complex inherent in what Bloomberg is doing?  Does the government really have any right to dictate how we go about providing our own personal nourishment?  What are the exact roles of our state legislature anyways, and should they be pursuing such a ban with other more pressing issues perhaps at stake?  These are all solid questions that can incite quite a debate in the classroom - and make for an excellent writing assignment as well!

Bloomberg's previous efforts, like attempting to tax soda sales and restricting the use of food stamps to buy sodas, can also be highlighted to show the complexities of the legislative process.   How bills pass through legislatures can be discussed and primed for a debate in class.  There are so many ways to tactfully use an example like this to segue into more pertinent social issues and topics.

Speaking of bans, the NYC Anti-Sugary Drinkapalooza (No?  Not even remotely clever?  I agree.) could be contrasted against other bans governments and legislatures have enacted/tried to enact through the years.  Prohibition, anyone?  Or perhaps we can cross the Atlantic and compare that with efforts in France to ban the wearing of the hijab on certain premises? Boom! We just took my Civics class global.  And all we needed was a can of chica-cherry cola.

Didn't get the last reference?  This should help:







5 comments:

  1. I have nothing to say about your lesson idea because it's really similar to what I had in mine and well, my ideas are awesome.

    It may have just been one sentence, but I like that you mentioned France's ban on the hijab. We have a responsibility to create students who are globally aware. I don't think we necessarily need to address every ban in all countries, but something like the proposed ban on the hijab is drastic. Having friends who are Arab-American, growing up near Arab-American communities, and likely having students who are Arab-American, It's something I'd want to question with my students. My gut instinct is to say that students in a US high school with a basic understanding of the constitution would say that such a ban is an infringement on someone's religious rights, but I could be wrong. High school kids are unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really similar reaction to yours in relation to the soda ban. I know that plenty of people interpret it as an infringement on freedom, but I couldn't help but take some satisfaction in the fact that someone was trying to do SOMETHING about the outrageous portion sizes that are seen as normal in this country. I think people drink these huge sodas because, well, people drink what's in front of them- sell them less, and they'll drink less (and potentially cost our healthcare system less).

    I did sort of shift my perspective during our small-group discussion on Friday, though- Saskia made this analogy between banning soda and banning books, calling the Twilight series the "soda of the literary world"- it may not be good for you, but it's your right to consume it. Hehe.

    Now I'm not sure what to think. But I thought your post was really insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see the soda ban as an impingement on my freedoms because they are not banning all soda, only certain sizes at certain places. They have done nothing about free refills or prohibiting me from taking more soda to the places I go. With that being said, I liked how were trying to take this issue to lead into more complex global issues. Although, some of the issues may not be same, they do have similar properties and characteristics. Having students look at bans in different countries is a great way for them to gain global awareness of some of the problems that others are facing. I agree that having a debate would be lively and engaging for the students. Just like how we had different views on the size restriction in our class, they most certainly would have opinions on this issue. There are some great ways to incorporate civics and politics into a lesson around this "ban." I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think that changing the producer-consumer paradigm by educating people on what the health effects of such a large drink are would be able to change the size of the drinks provided just as easily as a ban? What do you think is more important - that people stop drinking such mass amounts of soda, or that people know why they shouldn't? - Just wondering. I think this is a great opportunity to discuss with your students, and that it really would be an engaging conversation that students would benefit from and remember for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think this will stop unhealthy practices. The state wins because they get more money for the same amount of beverage. Also, if they were concerned about health, let's talk about alcohol, milkshakes, and junk food. I don't like the idea that the government is going to limit what we eat. I think that education is more important. However, if we're going to get fat and be unhealthy anyways, might as well give money to the state to give to schools! Maybe I reconsider my position after all.

    ReplyDelete